Wednesday, July 30, 2008

hey, that's not pesto!

Nope.  It's my mom's squash casserole.  Or as close as I could get it.  No matter how hard I try, nothing tastes like it does when Mom makes it.  I guess it's obvious - if I make it, Mom's not making it.  Strawberry bread, macaroni and cheese, pumpkin bread: all favorites I've tried unsuccessfully to recreate.  

Nevertheless, I took all this (okay, not all that... several zukes were unharmed in the making of this casserole.  But the big one didn't make it.  Gone.  Chopped.  Stir fried, and baked.):



And ended up with this:




Yep... several of these:



Went in to this!



(My additions are in italics.... I know, I know.  And I wonder why it doesn't taste like mom's!)

SQUASH CASSEROLE
1 1/2 lb. yellow squash, cooked with onion and drained
Zucchini to take up space if you don't have enough squash
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small container of sour cream
Cheddar Cheese a whole lot 
Bread Crumbs a whole lot
Finely Chopped Walnuts

Put the squash and onions in a casserole dish.  Put a layer of bread crumbs and then a layer of cheese down.  Put the zucchini down next.  Mix the soup and sour cream and put on top of veggies.  Put grated cheese on top, then bread crumbs.  Then finely chopped walnuts.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

(P.S. from Mom:  Do not dillute soup... I might use half of small container of sour cream in order for it not to be too soupy.)

Yes, save italics, this is straight from an email from my mom.  Hence the post scripts.  She's a great recipe resource.  And she's got great post scripts.

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Nothing beats Mrs. P's Squash Casserole, so I'll just have to see how your version stacks up.

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks amazing! What a great way to use up the veggies! Beautiful!