Tuesday, February 26, 2008

more barefoot contessa - zuchinni cakes

This is actually what was for dinner Sunday night... I feel a little guilty for not staying on top of things, but that's life. After hanging out with a baby in the greenhouse and playing cribbage over coffee, dinner was late on Sunday and there hasn't been time until today to get this up!

I'm attempting to do the Dark Days Challenge, but I'm reluctant to sign up officially. I don't have all that much in the freezer, but I managed to get something relatively close this week. Which was....

Zucchini Pancakes!!! As soon as I saw these in barefoot contessa at home, I knew I had to start using my frozen zuchinni in them. I have to admit, they weren't as crispy and fried as I had hoped they would be (isn't everything better crispy and fried or am I just showing my southern colors?). Nevertheless, it is, as Ina says, a great tasting way to use veggies. I think she actually says it's a great way to get vegetables into your kids - I suppose that can be applied to adults as well.

Anyway, the batter is made of a couple of zucchini (I had a bag of 3 cups in the freezer so that's what I used), some grated red onion, 2 extra large eggs, 6-8 table spoons of flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, an 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.



Our tomatoes did come from Mexico, but the potatoes in my half-mashed haphazard potatoes came from somewhere in good old Montana which I think made the 200 mile radious requirement. As did the little bit of flour in the batter which came from Wheat Montana. The eggs were from Leigh, and the zukes were from the backyard.



I don't think we made the 90% mark, but there's always something to aspire to... Especially as we plan the garden for this year.

No comments: