Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Intro

Now that I've finished a degree in Environmental Studies, I'm convinced that I need to grow my own food - as much as I can.  I know there is plenty of work to be done in the policy and science worlds, and I will contribute there when I can.  But right now, with the price of fuel rising and the distance between the garden and our dinner plate stretching further and further, I think this will be my latest attempt to be a good steward of the land.

So, this blog is to egg on my own conservation ethic, but it is also for my mother, the most inspiring gardner I've ever met. She planted seeds when I was young, so that I could watch eggplant and squash and bell peppers growing in my backyard.  She had roses and hydrangeas and lillies that she cut from often and all kinds of other beautiful blooms whose names I can't remember.  And, she always talked about getting to go to the yard and getting her hands dirty like it was the most fantastic experience in the world.  We're on opposite sides of the country now, but I want her to be able to peek in my backyard whenever she wants to see what's growing.

And, for anyone else who might peek in from time to time, I hope to have recipes and gardening tips and information about flowers and vegetables - but I should admit I'm new to this.  There will probably be as many questions as there will be answers... But I plan on having fun even if don't know what I'm doing!

1 comment:

erin said...

daisy? is that you???