Monday, February 4, 2008

A Forgotten Zuke

I thought I would explain the banner at the top of the blog right now. It may change (if I quit my job or if the day magically grows from 24 to 28 hours), but for now, it's a photo of some zucchinis that came out of the yard last year.

It's not a very long story. The zukes and pumpkins were my favorite garden plants last summer; almost every day I'd poke around, find the new fruits, and make a new count. I kept pretty close track of what was out there... Until I had to go to Crown King.

I was still working as a wildland firefighter last summer, and I had to replace someone on an engine down in Crown King, AZ. Before I left, I thought I had harvested all the zukes that needed to come out of the garden, but apparently I missed one. When I got home, I found a zucchini the size of a small person's arm!

So, lesson learned: look hard because even though large zukes don't taste bad, normal-sized ones have more flavor. I wonder how big that zuke would have gotten had I just let it grow...


2 comments:

Virginia said...

I'm so glad you're blogging now!!! I get to check up on my best friend everyday...and maybe learn a few gardening tips in the process. Love you.

Heather said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog. I added you to mine :-) I love to garden and cook, too, so I can't wait to see what tips you have.