Thursday, July 10, 2008

raised bed supermodel

Quick fire update: Everything looks good.  There's still smoldering in the trees, and the helicopters were running all day long.  But, I think it looks good.  There's lots of wind tonight, and I'm hoping that doesn't cause the evening fire behavior to be really active.... I suppose I can step outside in the morning and see just what the wind has brought.

In the meantime, I thought I'd post pictures of that fabulous raised bed.   I've decided that the raised bed is quite photogenic.  Truly the supermodel of the gardening world.

Every time I walk in the Handyman's backyard, I covet this raised bed.  Have I mentioned that before?  I do.  I want that fancy, supermodel-esque raised bed.



And his eggplant.  Mine are mostly from seed, and the two I got from the farmer's market were gotten earlier than the two in the Handyman's bed (they're the two broad leaf plants by the entrance to the center part of the bed).  I really hope there's lots of eggplant.  It's the first year we've tried, but between what's in my garden and his, I'm hoping there are several to put away for the winter.



The Handyman threw a piece of particle board on side to use as a temporary shelf for starts.


Once everything went into the ground (or the compost pile for the stuff that was semi-forgotten and dried from lack of water), there was no need for the shelf.


The next step of the project is to put pavers in the middle of the raised bed.  The rototiller is prepping the ground, and I suppose those pavers will make their way in soon.


3 comments:

African Kelli said...

Oooh, I am thinking of you with these fires. I hope you are safe!
And yes, I officially have garden envy now. :)

Anonymous said...

Your handyman looks like someone I could use around here for some manual labor. Is he for sale? FYI - I believe he works best full of Mt. Dew and swiss cake rolls.

Heather said...

Even though you can fight fires, I hope they stay far away. The garden looks great. We are enjoying everything but the green peppers yet...they finally grew, but no fruit yet.