Thursday, August 28, 2008

it's an itchy jungle out there

I've nicknamed the Handyman's giant pumpkin plant Gertrude.

It's not a common name. I like it. And the giant pumpkin is not a common pumpkin.



Or maybe it is. But what I look at in the middle of the handyman's yard seems anything but common. It's giant. It's graceful. And it looks like it will eat me if I fall asleep in the yard on an especially sunny afternoon. On a cloudy one she might just nibble at my elbow, but if it's sunny, this tasty morsel is heading inside for naptime.



When I am brave enough to venture among her vines and look for new pumpkins, I can't help but think that there is a delicate fairy world waiting underneath those serving platter leaves that are poised perfectly parallel above the ground.



It makes me wish I were three years old and small enough to spend the afternoons crawling around under there. And then I remember that pumpkins really are itchy. And that Gertrude might eat me.

4 comments:

Kassidy Kern said...

Well, that was just as poetic as I could've hoped for, Ms. Patterson. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how badly I want a pumpkin patch...maybe in Oregon.

ThrtnWmsFam said...

How wonderful a description! We planted a giant pumpkin plant along with various gourds but we had a little fox problem in the Spring. A whole family dug up our little seedlings everynight, including the labels. I'd replant the next day but have no idea what survived. We've identified a birdhouse gourd, a dipper gourd, and a small striped decorative gourd but we've got a big yellow thing that just began to turn orange. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.... I'm really behind. Anyway, thanks for the beautiful description. Vikki from near Denver, Colorado // www.thorntonwilliamsfamily.blogspot.com

qnc jelly gamat said...


obat alami yang ampuh untuk mengobati wasir

Informsi yang bagasu sobat cerdas baca juga :
efek Samping Qnc Jelly Gamat
pusat Qnc Jelly gamat
Qnc Jelly Gamat
cara pesan Qnc jelly gamat
obat eye care Softgel Asli
manfaat Qnc Jelly gamat